Name: Layce Quinn Johnson Hometown: Tulare, California
School: Northwestern College in Orange City, IA
Major: Elementary Education & Special Education with an endorsement in reading.
- Kids camps for various athletics
- Mexico Mission trip through Young Life in high school- I was baptized here!
- Spring Service Project: (Through Northwestern) I came to Opelousas over spring break. I helped paint Ms. Kelly’s house and worked in the special education class at South Street!
- Children: Coaching, teaching, playing, all around working with children
- Sports: I played water polo, soccer, softball, track, and swimming growing up. Currently playing soccer and running track at Northwestern! I also love to wakeboard, surf, kayak, fish, ropes course, zip-line, etc.—outdoors & adventurous!
- Coaching: Soccer, swimming, baseball/softball, basketball
- Animals: have various animals at home- raised/showed hogs, several dogs, donkeys. I also love wild animals.
At HFO: I work with students to improve reading. I run the reading clinic as well as working one on one with students. I am also preparing lesson plans for the upcoming school year.
- I plan on looking for a teaching position in the South and a great possibility of Opelousas.
- I would also like to work for a non-profit to help mentor students in the neighborhood.
Why I’m at HFO:
- I came to Opelousas for a spring service project. Working in the schools and with the HFO crew challenged me and I decided to do my reading student teaching here this summer. I fell in love with everything over spring break so it encouraged me to come back!