We at Hope for Opelousas have much to be thankful for as we look back on our beginning year of 2008. God called us to love our city with His Love and He promised He would be there with us and in us to do the loving. It is now early December and as we look back, we see that He in fact was faithful to fulfill that promise. Let's recall how He was our Big Loving Father during HFO's first year:
- Loren Carriere became HFO's first Managing Director.
- Bryan College of Tennessee and Northwestern College of Iowa were our first two college groups to utitlize what we call HFO Immersion Experiences.
- We were officially incorporated and approved for 501c-3 status.
- Our first board of directors was formed and first board meeting held in February.
- Our first 2 college interns served during the summer.
- We purchased a van and our house on Madison St.
- We held our first summer camp for the kids on The Hill.
- God sent the first group of tutor volunteers and has kept sending more.
- We began our afternoon tutoring program in August.
- The children have enjoyed several field trips.
- We have met many great neighbors in The Hill and Opelousas has come to know about Hope for Opelousas even through newspaper articles.
- We have sponsored and continue to support a neighbor who is now at Home of Grace, a Christian Rehab Center located in south Mississippi.
- We have been blessed by numerous generous donors who gave time, resources, money, but most of all, love.
Yes, we have much to thankful for as we look back. But, to our surprise most of the times, we got to see our Loving Father be Big as we sensed our smallness and inability to get HFO off the ground, and even love our neighbors. Thanks to all of you who have joined us on this journey, you know who you are. Thank You Father, Son, and Holy Spirit !!