The program emphasizes character in the classroom and beyond.
In addition to the academic aspects of the program, we also spend time each tutoring day to play with the kids. Pick-up games of basketball are great for blowing off some post-spelling test steam! Weekly Bible studies are just one part of the mentoring aspect of the tutoring program.
• 75 students in the 4th-12th grades
• Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.
• We communicate with parents and families AND with teachers and schools
• Staff, Volunteers and Agents of Hope work one-on-one or in small groups
• We tutor and mentor the kids, developing relationships that begin with homework, stories about school, and gifts of bubblegum!
• We encourage personal responsibility by requiring students to keep HFO folders, and tracking daily signatures from teachers to verify homework assignments.
• HFO students are also responsible for cleaning up homework supplies, art projects, footballs, and any games.
• There are snacks for the kids when they arrive, and at the end of each week..
• This after-school program represents the inception of HFO, and where much of the vibrancy still comes from!