Our volunteers share their gifts in all kinds of ways. Giving is such a blessing—often because we are surprised by how much we receive! Would you like to share your time? Would you like to share your talents. Visit our volunteer form to see how you can help.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
ABOUT: Homework helpers ideally work with 1-2 kids at a time.
During the tutoring session, you will help students get through their homework for the next day, study for upcoming tests, read with them, or work with our enrichment materials. What kid couldn’t use someone to call out spelling words that extra time or go through flashcards once more? Your patience is gratefully accepted!
- A heart to work with kids, and a desire to help them succeed
- Appropriate age: 16+ (11th grade and up) You’re never too old to impact a kid’s life!
- An ability to provide your own transportations
- Commitment to 1 day per week preferred (Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday)
- 3:30-5:45 pm
- Consistency in attending weekly
- We are very understanding about schedule changes! Our only request is that you let us know if you won’t be able to join us so we can find a replacement for the day.
ABOUT: Every day we tutor, we also give the kids a snack when they check-in. To help alleviate the stress of “supply and demand,” generous and beloved HFO volunteers can schedule when to bring snacks. Set up in advance, you will receive a reminder a few days prior to your scheduled day from HFO and we welcome anything from homemade goodies to individual bags of chips. We also make a few gallons of a drink each day, and could always use more Kool-Aid, lemonade, or Gatorade.
- Once a month
- Provide snacks for about 30 kids
- Bring snacks any time before 3pm on your scheduled day